Priyanka Chopra starrer ‘Mary Kom’, released on Friday, Septeber 5, has got a good start in the Box Office. Based on the initial collection report, the movie is expected to set new box office records.
The collection in India on the first day was INR. 8.5 crore. That was the 11th highest first day box office collection in 2014. The movie earned 34 lakh in North American release and 16 lakh in the UK release. The total earning number might change as the reports from other foreign locations are yet to be received.
‘Marry Kom’ is a biographical sports drama directed by Omung Kumar. The movie produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali is made on the story and screenplay of Saiwyan Quadras. The movie features Priyanka Chopra in leading role. Other main characters of the movie are played by Sunil Thapa, Darshan Kumar, Shishir Sharma and Zachary Coffin. The movie was premiered in Toronto International Film Festival, 2014.
In Manipur, the home state of Mary Kom, as the screening of the films was banned by insurgent groups and hence wasn’t released.
‘Mary Kom’ Reviews
- Ranjita Ganesan of Business Standard stated on his review “Chopra’s performance is especially impressive. The actor leaves behind the baggage of glamour and stays believable, even when yelling, glaring and flying at people. ”
- Bollywoodhungama gave 4 stars and stated, “The irony of the film is that, while it starts off with a pregnant Mary Kom (Priyanka), who later goes on to ‘deliver’ a performance of a lifetime. Mary and her ever-so-supportive husband Onler Kom (Darshan Kumaar) fight against all odds in a curfew stricken Manipur to ensure the safe delivery of Mary. Hereon, the viewers are subjected to a series of flashback events which lead to the making of the star pugilist ‘Mary Kom’. Delving into her upbringing, the film explores her past that includes her father’s strict opposition to boxing during her childhood and Mary’s undying spirit and love for the sport. ”
- Reviewer Subhash K. Jha gave 5 stars to the movie and called it “one of the most inspiring bio-pics to have ever reached the silver screen”. He also praised Chopra’s performance stating that her “character on screen transforms totally into a real-life personality.”
- Anindita Dev of Zee News wrote “The fact is that Priyanka is bound to face criticism for the major flaws that are visible in her body language and looks—but the lady was committed and she gave it her all, despite being a non-boxer. This could possibly be her career best role. I take back home respect for Mary’s husband, Onler, who should be a major inspiration to all the men out there. You can go back home basking in pride knowing about ‘Magnificent’ Mary and only wish the country would be more supportive to these superstars who are fighting against all odds, to make India proud. ”
- Anupama Chopra of Hindustan Times rated the film 3 out of 5 and stated in her review “There’s been a lot of chatter about debutant director Omung Kumar’s decision to cast a glamorous Bollywood star who looks nothing like the actual Mary. This could have gone horribly wrong, but Priyanka meets the challenge head-on. Her shoulders and arms are sculpted to look lethal. Her face is a fierce combination of rage and vulnerability.
- Rohit Vats of Hindustan Times rated the film 2.5 and stated “Mary Kom is made for whistles and some quick money.”.
- Ranjita Ganesan of Business Standard wrote in her review,..”Mary Kom is less about the sport and more about the sportsperson.” .
- Suhani Singh of India Today rated the film 2 out of 5 and stated “Mary Kom doesn’t have enough to pack a punch.”.
- Rajeev Masand wrote in his CNN-IBN review,..”The film is watchable, but never great like it should’ve been.” .
- Vinayak Chakravortyof India Today said in his review “It is the sort of make-belief that would seem amateurish even by a school-level play standard. The very Punjabi Priyanka tries her best to impress as Mary Kom, freckles on her face duly added by the make-up artist. She misses a boxer’s body language in the ring sequences and manages a purely Bollywood heroine’s routine in the scenes outside it.
Who is Mary Kom?
5-times World Amateur Boxing Champion Mary Kom’s real name is Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom (born 1 March 1983). She is the only woman boxer who has won a meda in each of the six world championships. She is the only Indian woman boxer to have qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics, competing in the flyweight (51 kg) category and winning the bronze medal. Also called “Magnificent Mary”, she has also been ranked as No. 4 AIBA World Women’s Ranking Flyweight category.
Kom had written an autobiography titled ‘Unbreakable’, published in 2013. She had also has started a female-only fight club at Imphal to teach girls to defend themselves against sexual violence in India.